Peace of Mind is All I Want...: Blogging from the bathroom

Peace of Mind is All I Want...

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Blogging from the bathroom

It's not what you think! I'm pumping!

Life has been kind of wacky the past couple of weeks. Audrey is in the midst of a nap strike, teething and a major eczema flair. All of which I'm sure is related.

I took Audrey (via airplane) to visit with my family. Little Sis had her 2nd baby and I wanted to meet him so away we went.

Flying solo with an almost 9 month old is not nearly as easy as a 6 week old or even a 6 month old (both of which I've done. I foolishly thought I was an expert at flying with a baby single handedly - ha!). We got back on Sunday and I am still EXHAUSTED. It was a lovely trip and I got to meet one of my internet friends which was a blast! And baby Auggie is a dream. So sweet! And so big! He was 10 lbs at birth and is tipping the scales at 14 lbs 11 oz at almost 8 weeks.

Well, we made it back unscathed but my poor girl is an itchy mess. After another visit with the pediatrician, she's been officially diagnosed with eczema. It seems to really show itself when she's teething (and drooling like crazy). That's extra unfair in my opinion - like the poor thing doesn't have enough going on with the teething pain.

The DR. prescribed a topical steriod and Benedryl - I'm not really on board with either of those options. I have started her on both courses of treatment but am hoping to get her into a pediatric dermatologist ASAP to see what other options exist. If anyone has any advice/assvice feel free to weigh in!

5 Comments:

At 10/16/08, 2:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have battled eczema all of my life and it was awful as a kid. Sometimes, there wasn't much choice othen than the topical steroids. My mom didn't want to use them on me, but it was the only think that kept things under control. If you find another solution, let me know.

Emu oil is good for eczema if you can find it. I have used it a couple of times on my eyelids, as I won't put the steroid cream there.

 
At 10/16/08, 7:46 PM , Blogger Larisa said...

Aww, poor baby. Yes, the flying with a 9 month old is very different than with the younger baby. We were "that" family on Tuesday.

I don't have much to offer - I have skin problems and can't seem to find a consistent way to keep them under control. Someone told me lotions with honey are good for eczema, but I've never actually tried it.

 
At 10/16/08, 8:10 PM , Blogger PCOSMama said...

My daughter has had eczema since she was a few months old. Unfortunately, the steroid creams are sometimes all that works (she's also been on allergy meds since she was little). We would use them for 3-4 days then take a break until it got really bad again... which usually took about a week. We also cut her baths down to about twice a week ( baths can irritate it), limiting her time in the water as much as possible, and switched her to Oil of Olay body wash with shea butter. Also, to this day we make sure to give her a really good rinse with fresh clean water at the end of a bath.

Slathering her legs with vaseline at night and having her wear pants to bed helped too (her legs were the worst). Ruins the pants after a while though.

Nowadays it's mostly under control, though we still don't bathe her every day. My son is starting up with it now too - they are both on allergy beds, we limit baths as much as possible and they both get slathered with Aveeno Intense Overnight Cream on a regular basis.

Sorry for the novel - we've been dealing with eczema for 4 years now so I wanted to share what has worked for us! Good luck!

 
At 10/17/08, 7:29 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Luke had it, too. We bathe him every other day and only use the hydro cortisone if it's a bad flair-up. It seems to go in cycles.

 
At 10/24/08, 8:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Audrey! Rowan has super-sensitive skin and eczema, too. We use Aquaphor for bad flare-ups, and Vanicreme or Aveeno Sensitive Skin lotion for everyday use. We only use soap in his bath once or twice a week, and when we do, it's just the Aveeno super-sensitive stuff, and never anything with fragrance. Our pediatrician suggested that swimming in chlorinated water might actually help the eczema (which seemed counterintuitive to me), and at the very least, our weekly swim lessons haven't seemed to hurt him. He also suggested that daily baths might help, as long as they were just water, and not with soap. We keep a humidifier running in his room at night to keep the air from being too dry.

Hope some of this helps - good luck! I think most babies outgrow it, fortunately.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home